Friday, February 8, 2013

When you find the Way it changes your Why

I'm training for my 15th Boston Marathon, and after all of these years at it, I can say that I still enjoy the process. It's not the race itself so much - I know the course like the back of my hand, I get that "been there, done that" feeling when I'm standing at the starting line, and it's still an incredibly painful proposition especially as I advance in age :) to push myself 26.2 miles up and down the hills of greater Boston across the finish line on Boylston. What I enjoy most is the journey, the three-month build up as I put in the long training runs and drop the weight, the daily routine of rising out of bed and lacing up the running shoes with Purpose and the Vision of crossing that finish line on April 15th. You see, when I've got a race like Boston out in front of me, it changes who I am, what I'm doing, and why I'm doing it. Having a "Why" gets you out of bed in the morning. It's far harder to stay under the warmth of my down comforter on a cold, dark morning when you have a Why like Boston. Why get up and get out? Because I want to be my best on race morning. I want to know in my heart that I've done everything possible to prepare, no excuses, no regrets, no compromise. I know as well that God has gifted me with the physical talent and the mental tenacity to run, and run well - and I will not sacrifice that gift. Each morning I arise with a smile on my face and joy in my heart knowing that I get to do this. Running Boston is an honor, something many can only dream about doing.  

When you come to know the Lord and have a personal relationship with Him, it changes your Why in much the same way. You wake up each day with greater clarity of Purpose and a Vision of the end game, the ultimate finish line. When I came to Christ, it literally changed who I was and how I conducted myself each day. My priorities changed, much like adding the discipline of running miles and miles as I prepare for a marathon, I began intentionally spending time in the Word and trying to be His light to a world in need of His message of hope, love, acceptance, and grace. As with the preparation for an impending marathon, I began to look at my time and the hours in the day in a much different way. My attitude and outlook on life changed dramatically as I began to see who I could be - not for me, but for others. Truthfully, from that day forward, I no longer needed an alarm clock to get up each day. I awake with passion, energy, and enthusiasm for everything that God would have in store for me as the day unfolds. I look forward to the journey now, even more so than the finish line. I enjoy the process of personal refinement and I know that He is preparing me for the race set before me, a race far more important than the prestigious Boston Marathon. BELIEVE.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us." -Hebrews 12:1


No comments:

Post a Comment