Monday, March 4, 2013

Worth the Effort

I recently blogged about finally coming to terms with the truth on New Years Day, admitting that I had allowed myself to become complacent after a pretty brutal racing schedule last year. I had backed off the workouts, decided I could get away with eating and drinking anything I desired, and I was far less intentional about living a healthy lifestyle. I figured I deserved it, my logic followed that I had earned the "vacation" from self-discipline and adherence to a strict training regime because of the year that I had experienced. So many accomplishments and personal goals achieved, it was time to relax and rest on my laurels for a bit. But there had been a price paid, I had quietly put on 15 unwanted pounds, I wasn't sleeping through the night, my body ached pretty much constantly, and I found myself struggling some days just to get through to the end.

Fast forward two months. With stricter adherence to a more healthy diet, a more intentional approach to my workouts, cutting out beer during weekdays, more focus on a good nights sleep, and the encouragement of friends who are on a similar journey, I've lost the 15 pounds. I feel better than I have in ten years. My runs are remarkably faster now that I'm carrying less weight. My body no longer aches. I'm sleeping better, through the night. I have far more energy and focus at work. The only downside is that I may need to go clothes shopping for new pants :)

Intuitively, I knew these things were outcomes and benefits associated with getting back on track. For me, it just took some fine-tuning. It wasn't easy, but it's so rewarding. I'm not going back there - the weight is staying off, because it simply feels good to be where I am today. The drift that occurred was slow - it didn't happen overnight, but over time. Getting it back didn't happen overnight either, but it did happen one day at a time, one decision at a time, one better choice at a time.

Our drift from a relationship with God happens much the same way. It's not an overnight thing, but a slow fade. Pretty soon it's like we're out in the middle of the ocean and we can longer see land. We've packed on the excess weight and baggage of life, and we're paying a price. We're feeling the stress and pressure brought on by a series of poor choices associated with daily compromises and a lack of self-discipline that has little to do with physical pursuits and more to do with our lack of judgement and the rationalization of behavior. We figure that much like "deserving" that extra helping or dessert, we deserve certain indulgences of life even if deep down we know they're not good for us. Because we've moved so far away from the Truth, our judgement is compromised.

But once we've decided to be intentional about getting back on track, everything else seems to fall into place. Decisions seem to be made with far more clarity. Our judgement is no longer swayed by public opinion but through discernment and prayer. Our relationships are deeper and more meaningful as our focus becomes less about ourselves and more about others. We worry less because our lives are no longer burdened by the cares associated with our former lifestyle, with the burdens and excesses we've left behind.

Intentionally living God's purpose for our lives requires effort. There's really no such thing as "time-off" - each day, each decision matters. We must practice self-discipline and restraint. We must allow His word to guide our decisions. Daily. It's not always easy, but it's always worth it. Believe.     

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity but of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control" 2 Tim 1:7
  

        

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I enjoyed reading it Todd it is so true.
    Btw, I have the word BELIEVE sitting on top of my kitchen cabinets. It’s a great reminder. Also, my word I’m clinging to this 2019 year is VICTORY!

    Sandi đŸ¦‹

    ReplyDelete