Sunday, April 15, 2012

Believing He is big enough to bear all burdens

"Cast all of your worries on Him because He cares for you" 1 Peter 5:7

As I sit in my Back Bay Boston hotel room 24 hours before I board the bus which takes me to Hopkinton and the start of my 14th Boston Marathon, I have every reason to worry. I've received my third weather alert from the Boston Athletic Club, advising me that race day temps will now reach 90 degrees, making conditions incredibly dangerous and life-threatening for those not acclimated to the heat or inexperienced with the marathon distance. For the record, it's next to impossible to get acclimated to the heat in advance of an April marathon, as most of the 12 week training to prepare is done in the depths and darkness of the winter months. But I'm not afraid. And I'm not worried. Don't get me wrong, I realize it'll be no picnic and that there is an inherent risk involved in simply starting a race under those conditions, but I have trusted the Lord through my weeks of preparation, through all of my previous long distance events, through every storm of my life, and through every previous challenge I have encountered, and He has never abandoned me. He tells us to turn it ALL over to Him, because He can handle it (as He once did on the cross so many years ago!). And I know He'll be there right with me every step of the way tomorrow, guiding my path and protecting me through the the finish on Boylston Street early in the afternoon. It won't be pretty, but it'll be purposeful. Under my own strength, a marathon in 90 degree heat is impossible, but I won't be running under my own strength. I will turn it all over to Him, including my worries and fears, and I will focus all of my effort and energy on the opportunity I have ahead to run this race in a way that glorifies the One who has blessed my life in so many amazing ways. Once again, it's time for me to BELIEVE!

"But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

No comments:

Post a Comment