Friday, July 20, 2012

Perspective


Lake Placid Logo
Two days before Ironman Lake Placid and I'm hanging out in my hotel room in Saranac pondering the enormity of the task ahead. 17 hours to complete, a non-stop, no time-outs race with a finish line 140.6 miles away from the start. Part of me acknowledges the "been there, done that three times" truth regarding the distance, but there is always the unknown lurking making such a challenge daunting. All the physical preparation is behind me, and with confidence I can say I never missed a workout or compromised a commitment along the way. Physically, I am ready. My bike is tuned up, my wet suit and goggles lake tested today, and I even brought an extra pair of running shoes just in case I burn a pair up on the first of two 13.1 mile loops (yeah, right :)...so it comes down to this: How will I see the opportunity before me? Is it a burden, a huge task, something to "get through and endure" or do I see it as the blessing it is? Because here's the truth.....I GET to do this. I'm in the Adirondacks, perhaps the world's most picturesque Ironman venue, surrounded by 2400 fellow athletes - all of us healthy and fit enough to compete in an endurance event most people can't fathom. I GET to enjoy the camaraderie, the emotional and physical high of crossing the finish line early Sunday evening supported by family and a volunteer staff that gives of their time so I can make mine. Perspective in life is everything - is it a "get to" or a "have to"? The six-month journey leading up to July 22, 2012 included 100 miles of swimming, 3000 miles of biking, and 1500 miles of running. Every one of those miles logged prepared me for Ironman. Every one of those miles served a purpose - refining me, strengthening my body and my resolve, serving as daily reminders that I am capable, I am strong enough, I can finish what I start, and I am so damn blessed. Because there are so many folks out there who will never get this chance, who would LOVE the opportunity to get out of bed each morning and put two feet on the ground. By God's amazing providence and grace, I'm here and I'm seeing more clearly than ever that what lies in front of me is a gift - and to give anything less than my best on Sunday, with anything less than a grateful heart and positive attitude, is to sacrifice that gift..... because I get to do this, Thank God.    

"Every man to whom God has given riches and possessions, and the power to enjoy them and to accept his appointed lot and to rejoice in his toil--this is the gift of God.  - Ecclesiastes 5: 19






 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment